I have flipped parts of many of my classes for several years now. I have flipped parts of Anatomy, Biology and Chemistry courses. This year I have committed to FLIPPING my entire Honors Chemistry Course. I use SOPHIA.org to create tutorials and playlists of my videos (SMARTERTEACHER Sophia) which are available also available on You Tube. I use Screencast-o-matic to create my own video lessons, and supplement my own videos with videos from Tyler Dewitt, Paul Anderson (Bozeman Science), Brian Swarthout and Steve Spangler and Crash Course. I have now completed the first five weeks of the course and four chapters of the text. My students have engaged in labs, hands on activities and projects in every block this year (See Page).
I have put together a brief video to explain this to the parents of my students.
The Best Aspects of Flipping My Class
- Student Focused Classroom
- Authentic Application
- Improved use of Technology
- Student Ownership of Their Learning
- Use of Formative Assessment
- TIME, TIME, TIME!!!!!
Student Focused Classroom
My classroom has become more them and less of me. I spend more time engaged in authentic discussions with the students addressing their questions and understanding. I have spent very little time in lecture, directing the class and in disciplining students.
My students have had ten class meetings and have done a lab, hands on activity or engaged in project based learning. (See Page)
Improved Use of Technology
We became a one to one iPad school this year and have converted from Moodle to BlackBoard for our LMS. I have increased the the interaction for my students and technology.
- Students access the BlackBoard LMS on their iPads
- Students download pdfs of lecture notes and worksheets and upload them to Notability to take notes or complete work.
- Periodic Table is a html interface for students to access on the iPad
- Students have downloaded and followed lab instructions on their iPads
- Students have used the iPad to document lab data and observations.
- Students use the iPad calculator to complete problem solving
- Students have created photo collages and iMovies of class activities and labs
- Students have used the Skitch app to annotate photos of lab observations
- Students have followed lessons on NearPod app
- Students have accessed SOPHIA Playlists and Tutorials on their iPads
- Students have used the iPads to search information and research
- Students have viewed TEDs and completed TEDitorial assignments on iPads
- Students have created Infographics using their iPads
- Students have submitted discussion points to a Padlet Graffiti Wall on the SMART Board.
Student Ownership of Their Learning
Students learn on their time at their pace. Students are able to access Sophia playlists whenever the can wherever they are.
Increased Use of Formative Assessment
I am more aware of student understanding and application of material by having the time to authentically engage with students beyond simply sharing content. I am therefore, able to evaluate the learning process in my classroom for both my students and as an educator.
TIME! TIME! TIME!
Time in class to engage in the types of activities that engage students in the development of their skills for learning.